Day 71 – On the way to Varadero

Today was eventful. Four of us decided we wanted to take a weekend trip to Varadero and so at 2pm a taxi came to pick us up. It was a traditional yellow taxi with black leather seats…..urgh in this heat!

Half an hour away from Varadero we stopped for a toilet break and the taxi decided to stop working. As it was a Cuban driver, of course everything was ok and no stress was needed. It was all smiles and laid back while he tinkered under the bonnet and 15 minutes later we were back on our way.

Our casa was nice and close to the beach and after dropping our stuff we went on a search for an ATM as I wasn’t able to change money at the school before we left before going to check out the beach. Of course, there had to be some drama.

When we found the ATMs I quickly went and out my card into the machine which it took. I then looked at the screen. The black, blank screen…..2 seconds later a guy came over and confirmed that it wasn’t working. A slight panic started to enter my thoughts that I would be without money but I was already telling myself that’s a problem for after the weekend and to just enjoy myself. However, the chilled out Cuban told me my card would be spat out in 5 minutes or so. Sure enough, with some kind of insane luck, it came out the machine!

We took a little walk to the beach just to check it out. It was beautiful. White sand, blue sea and skies. Nothing on the horizon. Very peaceful even with the other tourists.

We decided to go to the Chinese restaurant on the beach for dinner. I was super excited as I haven’t had Chinese food in so long! They even had dumplings in the menu, although nowhere near as good as the ones at home.

After dinner we went to the beach to watch the sun go down (which decided to go behind a cloud so we saw nothing) and have a few drinks. After a bottle was finished we headed to a bar across the road where the piña colada’s commenced. I’m getting good at ordering them in Spanish!

Dancing, singing, a burnt eye (yes I ended up with a  a cigarette to the eyeball) and swimming in the sea later, I think we finally made it back about 2:30am.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s