Day 14 – Arrival at Bonito

Oh my days, the night bus really was a nightmare bus! The journey was terrible. We even got stopped by the police for a random spot check. I was lucky if I got one hour of sleep the entire journey. The only positive is that we arrived earlier than expected and they were thankfully able to let us have our rooms at 6am. I stumbled like a zombie into the boiling room that felt like a sauna and fell asleep for two hours.

When I woke up, I jumped in the shower to freshen up and get ready to face the day. I felt like it should be about 4pm not 9am! It was going to be a horrifically long day.

As a group we decided we would go to the Mimosa farm and do the waterfall trek for the afternoon. 

Here in Bonito there are loads of farms that are given protected area of lands with different natural features that the farms then charge visitors to see and ultimately help protect. It is quite expensive as everything (even transfers) are privatised here, but it is super beautiful and worth it.

The guide picked us up for 1:30pm and kitted us out for the tour. You know it’s going to be good when you have to store everything, get in swim gear and you get given this sexy footwear…

We were taken out on what looked like a safari truck into the forest and our tour guide started the trek. We were going to walk around and see 8 waterfalls. 7 of which you could swim at.

The water was cold but so freshing as it was super humid. After the first dunk, the shock was done and you could just relax and enjoy the tranquility.

Our tour guides English wasn’t amazing, but it was good enough to get the gist of things. He was fearless and often plunged into the waters with us. He took us to one of the waterfalls and excitedly told us to enter the cave and “look to the ceiling for make a wish”.

Being the first in, I swam to the cave hesitantly trying to think of the wish I wanted to make. Well….My mistake….His English wasn’t as bad as I thought….He was introducing me to the formation “make a wish” – I’m sure they could hear my laugh from the other side of the forest.

The next waterfall wasn’t for the faint hearted. On the approach it looked beautiful and peaceful like the other waterfalls but hidden to the right were some steep steps that took you up to a jump platform. The jump was 6m (19ft)…so naturally I threw myself off of it! Such fun!
We swam under waterfalls, into caves, across pools and walked for what our legs were worth! To reach the last two waterfalls we needed to take a row boat there, so we hopped in and got the oars manned. We were making good progress when the guide dramatically hushed us and got us to stop moving. After a minute he pointed off to the left of the boat…There, no more than eight foot away, was a caiman!

The next two waterfalls were uneventful and beautiful, although only three of us took to the water after our sighting and we all opted to walk the forest route back. 

In the forest we saw locusts (massive ones – like bigger than my hand!), a tarantula sized spider (also kind of looked like one), lizards, lots of birds, hummingbirds and we were even lucky enough to get a glimpse of a tapir!

We were all shattered by the time we got back to the hotel, so after a quick dinner (yum falafel), where I managed to make a furry friend!!! We all headed back, straight to bed ready for tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s